Boeing pays $ 2.5 billion


The US Department of Justice announced Thursday that it had accused Boeing of conspiring to conspire to commit fraud for failing to provide full information during the approval process for the 737 MAX, two of which crashed in flight.

'Boeing employees preferred profit to franchise by withholding important information about the use of their 737 MAX aircraft from the FAA (United States Aviation Authority) and trying to cover up their deception.' Justice Department official David Burns denounced in a statement.

Two 737 MAX crashes

The aviation giant has agreed to pay more than $ 2.5 billion to resolve certain legal disputes - including a $ 243.6 million fine, $ 1.77 billion as compensation for its customers and $ 500 million for an intended fund compensation of the relatives of the 346 victims of the Lion Air plane crash in October 2018 and Ethiopian Airlines in March 2019.

The deal between the authorities and the company 'holds Boeing responsible for the criminal misconduct of its employees, addresses the issue of the financial impact on Boeing airline customers and will hopefully provide some form of redress for the families and loved ones of the victims,' added David Burns.

Boeing admitted to hiding information

Boeing admitted that two of its employees misled a group within the FAA to suppress pilot training for the MCAS flight software involved in the two accidents.

The documents later issued by the Aviation Authority therefore did not contain any essential information about this software, which was therefore not included in the manuals for pilots and training documents.

Under the terms of the agreement, Boeing has agreed to continue to work with the authorities on all ongoing or future investigations. The manufacturer has also undertaken to report any example or suspicion of fraud by any of its employees to the authorities.

On the other hand, the Ministry did not consider it necessary to impose an independent inspector on the company.

The 737 MAX had remained on the ground for twenty months after the second crash in March 2019. In November she was re-released for flying in the US and then in other countries.